Burns Recovered staff and volunteers lead peer support groups that help burn survivors, their families and caregivers cope with the concerns they are facing, and provide an outlet for expressing the joys and setbacks they are experiencing. Our peer support program is here to:
- Share practical solutions we have found as we learned to adjust and cope with our injuries;
- Provide emotional support and emotional understanding;
- Calm the feelings of anxiety or fear you may have during the recovery process;
- Ease the transition from hospital to home, and back to work or school.
- Support each other and have fun together.
- Most importantly, we want you to know that you are not alone.
We are here to help. BRSG holds monthly peer support group meetings in St. Louis and Columbia, Missouri. Meetings are open to burn survivors and anyone wanting to learn more about burn recovery.
The St. Louis meetings are held the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 P.M. at Mercy Hospital, 5th floor, in the Burn Center Waiting Room.
The Springfield (MO) meetings are held the first Saturday of each month at 1:00 P.M. at Mercy Springfield Hospital, in the Doyle Room (main entrance of hospital, first floor)
In addition to monthly peer support group meetings, individualized peer support is provided to patients and their loved ones, during the in-patient hospital stay, in St. Louis and Columbia. Helpis only as far away as the telephone or email. Don’t hesitate to email or call the office and ask for help. We are here to share our experience, strength and hope with you.