Burns Recovered serves burn and smoke inhalation survivors and their families to provide support and hope during their recovery and promotes education about burn injuries and prevention in the community.
Burns Recovered began in 1983 in a hospital burn unit in St. Louis, MO with a small group of dedicated volunteers who wanted to make a difference in the lives of burn and smoke inhalation survivors and their families. Our partnership with Mercy, and eventually other health care facilities and partners,to offer supportive services, a caring presence, and a message of hopewas transformative tosurvivors at the beginningof their journey of recovery.
Programming was expanded to continue beyond the hospital stay and serve survivors statewide and beyond including:
- Individualized and group peer support for burn survivors.
- Midwest Children’s Burn Camp (MCBC), which provides unique summer camp experience for children who have survived severe burns and smoke inhalation.
- The Changing Times retreat, which focuses on the special needs of young adult burn survivors, ages 18-25.
- Housing support for families during the hospitalization of a burn survivor.
- A scholarship fund for burn survivors.
- A holiday giving program for burn survivors and their families.
- Community education and outreach focused on burn injury prevention.
Today, with the help of our medical and first responder partners, our volunteers, and our staff, we continue our mission to help every burn survivor live life to the fullest without limitations, fear, or insecurity.