Burns Recovered Scholarship Program
Purpose of Scholarship Program
To provide support to burn survivors, teens and adults, who have an affiliation with the Burns Recovered and need financial aid to pursue education after high school or need to be retrained as a result of their burn injuries.
Qualifications to be considered:
- A burn survivor 17 years of age or older who has established a rapport with BRSG.
- Has attended Missouri Children’s Burn Camp as a child or young adult, if the burn survivor is of high school age or younger.
- Has been recommended for consideration by someone affiliated with BRSG.
- Must have applied and been accepted to an accredited institution of the following:
- two year college (Jr. College)
- 4 year college (University)
- trade school or other training program approved by the BRSG Board of Directors
- Must provide adequate explanation for “financial need”.
- Each year a scholarship (s) will be awarded for the year (August to August).
- The BRSG Board of Directors will evaluate and determine which applicants are in “Most need” and “most deserving” of the scholarship.
- Each year applicants must reapply.
- The application period is from April 1 to May 15.
- The successful applicant will be notified by June 15
HOW TO APPLY
- A “Scholarship Application Form” must be completed and submitted to BRSG for review and selection.
- Two letters of recommendation from any one of the following addressing the question of “Why you would be deserving of or in need of such a scholarship”:
- parent or relative
- teacher, counselor or youth adviser
- A one page written essay by the applicant describing:
- What are your educational goals?
- How do you plan on accomplishing these goals?
- Who, in your life, is the most supportive of you continuing your education?
FINANCIAL DISBURSEMENT AND CRITERIA
- The scholarship value varies annually. Scholarship values are determined annually by the BRSG Board of Directors.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 must be maintained for the entire term the scholarship is awarded, usually one-year.
- The minimum school term that must be completed is one year.
- Proof of the minimum GPA and completion of the one-year term are required.
- The scholarship money can only be used for tuition and or school supplies (book, required materials, or classroom fees).
- Disbursement will be made directly to the school/training facility on behalf of the successful applicant. Under no circumstances will funding be directly distributed to the applicant..