Burns Recovered is pleased to offer 2 different types of scholarships - Our College / Trade School Scholarship and our "Pursue a Dream" Scholarship. See below for information and eligibility requirements:
College / Trade School Scholarship
To provide support to burn survivors, teens and adults, who have an affiliation with the Burns Recovered and need financial aid to pursue education after high school or need to be retrained as a result of their burn injuries.
Qualifications to be considered:
- A burn survivor 17 years of age or older
- Has attended Midwest Children’s Burn Camp (MCBC) and/or has participated with BRSG programs or services as an adult
- Must have applied and been accepted to an accredited institution of the following:
- two year college (Jr. College)
- 4 year college (University)
- trade school or other training program approved by the BRSG Board of Directors
- Each year scholarship(s) will be awarded for the year (August to August).
- The BRSG Board of Directors will evaluate and determine which applicants are most in need of the scholarship.
- Each year applicants must reapply and, if a previous scholarship recipient, provide proof of minimum GPA of 2.0 for entire term the scholarship was awarded and completion of the entire term
- The application period is from April 1 to May 15.
- The successful applicant(s) will be notified by June 15
How to Apply
- Complete the “College / Trade School Scholarship Application Form” if going on to College or a Trade School
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or youth advisor addressing the question “Why you would be deserving of and in need of a scholarship” You may not use a letter of recommendation from a parent, guardian or grandparent. Your letters must be from two different individuals.
- A one-page essay by the applicant describing 1) Your educational goals 2) Your plan on accomplishing these goals
- A headshot appropriate for publication on a website, newsletter, etc.
- If you are a previous scholarship recipient, you must provide proof of a minimum GPA of 2.0 for entire term the scholarship was awarded and proof of completion of a one-year termMail the above items to Burns Recovered, 6220 South Lindbergh Blvd., Suite 203, St. Louis, MO 63123
- Scholarship values are determined annually by the BRSG Board of Directors.
- The scholarship money can only be used for tuition and or school supplies (book, required materials, or classroom fees).
- Disbursement will be made directly to the school/training facility on behalf of the successful applicant. Under no circumstances will funding be directly distributed to the applicant.
Midwest Children’s Burn Camp (Pursue a Dream) Scholarship
To provide up to $500 per child (with a total of $5,000 to be used in 2018) for scholarships for Midwest Children’s Burn Camp participants. The new scholarship program is specifically for Midwest Children’s Burn Camp campers who have a specific hobby or passion that they enjoy participating in and would like to take a class to continue that interest. Examples of this may include cooking or dance classes, a creative writing course, a basketball camp, guitar lessons, or anything the camper would like to pursue that makes them happy.
To be eligible for the scholarship you must have attended MCBC in 2017 as a camper or counselor-in-training and plan on attending in 2018 as a camper or counselor-in-training. You must be able to provide your own transportation to and from the activity if you are approved for a scholarship.
Applications are due in our office by 4:00 PM on Monday, April 2, 2018. The Board of Directors will select the winners at the April 2018 Board of Directors meeting. Winners will be notified by April 20, 2018 and a ceremony acknowledging their receipt of the scholarship will take place at Midwest Children’s Burn Camp 2018.
How to Apply
- Complete the “Midwest Children's Burn Camp Scholarship Application Form” if going on to "Pursue a Dream", or wanting to learn something new.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or youth advisor addressing the questions 1) Why do you deserve a scholarship 2) Why do you need a scholarship. You may not use a letter of recommendation from a relative or a staff person or volunteer from Midwest Children’s Burn Camp.
- A one-page essay by the applicant describing why attending this class would be important to you. Please have the applicant create the essay in his or her own words. We would prefer that you type your essay. Parents or guardians can help but please do not write the essay for the applicant.
- Mail the above items to Burns Recovered, 6220 South Lindbergh Blvd., Suite 203, St. Louis, MO 63123. Applications are due in our office by 4:00 PM on Monday, April 2, 2018.
The maximum amount allotted per child is $500. If a scholarship is approved, payment is made directly to the entity hosting the class. Funds will not be distributed to the scholarship winner.